Hearing loss affects people of all age groups. The occurrence of hearing loss is the reverse of what most people think. The Better Hearing Institute reported the majority, 65% of people with hearing loss, are younger than age 65. There are more than six million people in the U.S. between the ages of 18 and 44 with hearing loss, and nearly one and a half million are school age.
- 3 in 10 people over age 60 have hearing loss;
- 1 in 6 between the ages 41-59, or 14.6%, have a hearing problem;
- 1 in 14 between the ages 29-40, or 7.4%, already have some hearing loss;
- At least 1.4 million children 18 or younger have hearing problems;
- It is estimated that 3 in 1,000 infants are born with significant hearing loss
Image obtained 10-22-14 at: https://www.google.com/search?q=photos+of+children+with+hearing+loss&biw=1079&bih=732&tbm=isch&imgil=oleKPfmWHe7NEM%253A%253BvoWK4ZeTpMEGNM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.siumed.edu%25252Fsurgery%25252Fent%25252Fpediatric-hearing.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=oleKPfmWHe7NEM%253A%252CvoWK4ZeTpMEGNM%252C_&usg=__XY582lBtWSP1uDdoBWpdhUR2gOI%3D&ved=0CDEQyjc&ei=he5HVL6NGYaqyASjgoHgDA#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=oleKPfmWHe7NEM%253A%3BvoWK4ZeTpMEGNM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.siumed.edu%252Fsurgery%252Fent%252Fhearing_balance%252Fimages%252FMia.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.siumed.edu%252Fsurgery%252Fent%252Fpediatric-hearing.html%3B300%3B200