Sensorineural hearing loss is the most common type of hearing loss. It results from a decrease in function of the hearing nerves. The nerves deteriorate for many reasons. Once they are damaged, they cannot be rejuvenated causing permanent hearing loss. The first line of treatment for sensorineural hearing loss is hearing aids. Combined with assistive devices and sometimes listening therapy, people can experience positive, life changing results.
A study by the National Council on the Aging looking at over 2,000 people with hearing loss and their significant others demonstrated that hearing aids are clearly impressive. They result not only in better hearing but also improvements in the social, emotional, psychological, and physical well-being of people with hearing loss. Further, hearing aid usage positively impacts:
- Earning power, people with hearing loss who use hearing aids earn more money,
- Communication, resulting in stronger more satisfying relationships,
- Intimacy and warmth in family relationships,
- Ease in communication, people with hearing loss do not have to “work” as hard to hear and understand conversation,
- Emotional stability, they experienced less frustration and anger related to hearing and miss hearing information,
- Sense of control over life events, greater self confidence,
- Perception of mental functioning, hearing well helps to stimulate the brain similar to crossword puzzles and other word games, and
- Physical health, with increased socializing comes an increase in physical activity.
Learn the various types of hearing aids available. Go to http://www.aachear.org/. There are many options to suit personal preferences.
Often assistive listening devices can provide further help. TV amplifiers, amplified telephones and personal FM systems can be very helpful for specific situations. If you are experiencing difficulty hearing have an audiologist evaluate your hearing. The audiologist can explain how hearing aids, assistive devices and listening therapy can be useful to you. Why wait? Call now for a hearing evaluation.
Life Sounds Great! Enjoy Every Moment!
Advanced Audiology Concepts
8897 Mentor, Ohio 44060