Thursday, August 30, 2012

I have difficulty hearing. What do I need to do? What should I expect?

First, see an audiologist.  The American Academy of Otolaryngology reported a screening test from a hearing aid dealer or hearing instrument specialist does not assess the status of the ears, it simply measures hearing and may not be adequate. Audiologists are uniquely trained to assess, diagnosis and manage permanent hearing loss.  An audiologist will have either a doctoral or master’s degree in anatomy of the ear, diseases of the ear, hearing, hearing assessment, hearing aids and clinical training.  

The audiology exam includes a look in your ears to check for ear wax.  The wax will be removed if it blocks your ear.  The hearing evaluation assesses the softest tones you can hear, how distinctly you hear words, the mobility of the eardrums, ear reflexes and health of the hearing nerves in the inner ear.  It is a safe and comfortable exam.

The results of the evaluation will indicate whether you need hearing aids or if you need medical evaluation.  90% of the time hearing loss is not related to a medical condition and is permanent leading to the recommendation of hearing aids.   If you need medical attention you will be referred back to your physician.

Keep in mind hearing aids have come a long way in the last few years.  They are small, discreet and do a great job for the vast majority of people with hearing loss.  Your audiologist will review the hearing aid options based on your hearing, lifestyle and hearing needs.  Call now for an appointment. 

Life sounds great!  Enjoy every moment!

Jane Kukula, AuD
Paula Webster, MA

Advanced Audiology Concepts
8897 Mentor Ave
Mentor, Ohio 44060

No comments:

Post a Comment