Thursday, November 1, 2012

An audiologist

I recommend you see an audiologist.  Audiologists are the most trained in hearing and hearing loss.  An audiologist will perform an audiologic evaluation including measures of hearing and assess the function the eardrums, ear muscle reflexes and hearing nerve (haircell) health. The audiologic assessment is a thorough evaluation of the function of the ear going well beyond simple hearing measures. As a result an audiologist will know whether to refer you to a physician, or recommend listening training or hearing aids.

If hearing aids are indicated, I again, recommend you work with an audiologist. A hearing aid dealer can also fit and dispense hearing aids but their education and training is different.  Audiologists have either a Master’s Degree or Doctoral Degree which includes college course work on the development of the ear, how it works, the anatomy and physiology of the ear, causes of hearing loss, ear diseases and fitting hearing aids. Hearing aid dealers are licensed in most states. The requirements may vary slightly state by state.  In Ohio they need a high school education or equivalent, and must pass a state examination.  Typically they are trained by other licensed hearing aid dealers.

Get started by scheduling an appointment with an audiologist.  Call one now.

Life sounds great!  Enjoy every moment!

Jane Kukula, AuD
Paula Webster, MA

Advanced Audiology Concepts
8897 Mentor Ave
Mentor, Ohio 44060

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea seeing an audiologist could be so beneficial for me. I'll definitely go look up audiologists in Fredericton NB after this!